Savannah in Spring time is a sight to behold. With all the lush green scenery, the beautiful river and the perfect weather, you just can't resist but enjoy Savannah with Spring in full bloom. At this time of the year, you won't run out of activities that will cater to each and everyone's interest. And one of the many attractions of Savannah are the beautiful Historical Homes around the city. Savannah is blessed to have preserved these beautiful homes full of history and Southern Charm.

So if you're new to Savannah, just visiting or you just want to explore the city on a beautiful morning, come and get your camera ready and take a walk with us along memory lane as we visit Savannah's Historical Houses.


The Gingerbread House

1921 Bull Street

Image Source: venueviking.com

Also known as The Asendorf House because of its elaborate and intricate gingerbread arches and spindles on the front porch and balcony. It was built in 1899 and has been standing for 118 years today. The house is full of antique furnishings from the original period and has a private courtyard, gazebo, and a mini waterfall. The Gingerbread House is available for private tours and has become a great venue for weddings and private parties.


Armstrong House

447 Bull Street, Savannah, GA

Image Source: pinterest.com

This beautifully restored Italian Renaissance styled house is over a hundred years old and was originally owned by the Armstrong family. It has then become the site of Armstrong Junior College until they moved to a larger location and was converted to a high-end antique shop by Jim Williams. Today, it houses the prestigious law firm of Bouhan + Falligant when Bouhan, Williams and Levy bought the property back in 1970.


Juliette Gordon Low House

10 East Oglethorpe Avenue

Image Source: Savannah.com

The Juliette Gordon Low House is the birthplace of the USA Girl Scouts founder, Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Low, the girl with severe hearing impairment and her remarkable story of how she founded the Girl Scouts of the USA in 1912. It is also Savannah's First National Historic Landmark and has become an iconic house in all of Georgia. Currently, it is owned and operated by the Girl Scouts of the USA and home to the National Girl Scouts Program Center and is one of the most visited house museums in Savannah. 


The Davenport House

324 East State Street

Image Source: Savannah.com

The Davenport House is located on Columbia Square at the corner of State and Habersham Streets in the Historic District of Savannah, Georgia. The Davenport House is one of the oldest brick structure in the city due to the common use of wood construction during the town’s earliest history. On March 9th, 1963, the first floor of the house was opened to the public and subsequently, the second and third floor of the house was opened as well and the entire house was opened for public viewing. Visiting the Davenport House is essential in experiencing the history of Savannah and its historic preservation renaissance.


Mercer Williams House

429 Bull Street

Image Source: Savannah.com

This beautiful house was designed by a New York architect, John S. Norris for General Hugh W. Mercer, the great-grandfather of the famous Johnny Mercer, the singer and songwriter. Construction of the house began in 1860 and was finished in 1868 by the new owner, Jon Wilder. In 1869, Jim Williams, a known private restorationist in Savannah bought the house and restored it to its original colonial beauty. The house is open to the public and houses some of Mr. Williams' extensive 18th and 19th-century furniture, portraits, and Chinese porcelain. Today, it is home to Dr. Kingery, sister of the late Mr. Williams.


Flannery O’Connor House

207 East Charlton Street

Image Source: Savannah.com

This beautiful house is the birthplace of Flannery O'Connor, a multi-awarded writer famous for The Violent Bear It Away and Wise Blood. O’Connor’s childhood home is one of only a few museum houses in the country that has been restored to the Depression-era. Today, the house is open to the public and is available for private events.


Andrew Low House

329 Abercorn Street

Image Source: VisitHistoricSavannah.com

The Andrew Low House was built for one of Savannah’s wealthiest businessmen, the Scottish-born cotton factor Andrew Low. It was built in 1848-1849, the architect believed to be John S Norris.

The house is also associated with Juliette Gordon Low and the Girl Scouts story: Gordon Low lived here after her marriage to Andrew Low’s son William Mackay Low. Though they later divorced, Gordon Low remained in the house until her death; the adjacent carriage house served as the first meeting place for the Girl Scouts organization, which she founded in 1912.

The house (today owned by the Colonial Dames of Georgia) has numerous restored rooms showing how life would have been for a wealthy Savannah family in the 19th century, including a children’s playroom and, more unusually, one of the earliest indoor bathrooms.


Green - Meldrim House

14 West Macon Street

Image Source: VisitHistoricSavannah.com

Amongst Savannah’s most popular historic houses is the Green-Meldrim House, on the west side of Madison Square. From this house, General William Sherman wrote his historic telegram presenting the City of Savannah to President Lincoln as a “Christmas present.” It is currently owned by the adjacent St John’s Episcopal Church.


Owens - Thomas House

124 Abercorn Street

Image Source: telfair.org

The Owens-Thomas House is one of Savannah’s most outstanding antebellum houses, and also one of its most completely preserved. Slave quarters and English-style parterre gardens can be seen, besides the architecture and antiques of the main house itself.

The Owens-Thomas House dates from the 1810s, built for a wealthy cotton merchant and banker Richard Richardson and his family. It was William Jay’s first Savannah commission: Jay is one of the most notable architects to have worked in the city, and the Owens-Thomas House is considered his finest work.

The house was completed in 1819, but tragedy soon struck. By 1822, Richardson’s wife Frances and two of their children were dead, and Richardson had lost their home, ruined by a recession and bad investments.


Harper - Fowlkes House

230 Barnard Street

Image Source: Utrip.com

The Harper-Fowlkes House, a striking Greek Revival home on Savannah’s southwestern Orleans Square, was once owned by the influential Champion and McAlpin families. It stands today as testament to the preservation work of Alida Harper-Fowlkes.

The house was designed by Charles Cluskey in the Greek Revival style, constructed in 1842. The Harper-Fowlkes House is the last remaining of the large homes that once graced the formerly-fashionable Orleans Square, its imposing double-story columns a hint of the square’s lost grandeur.


Thinking of buying a home in Savannah?

When visiting is no longer an option and you decided to set roots in town, we at the ERA Evergreen Real Estate - Live Love Savannah team can help. From Single Family Homes, Condominiums to townhomes and more, we are positive we can find the right home for you. Call us at 912 341-6601 and let's get started!

Visit our website to view real estate listings in the area.